返回列表 回復 發帖

Benitez backs Torres to shine after derby double

Rafa Benitez believes Liverpool will be an even more formidable force now Fernando Torres has rediscovered his goal-scoring touch.
Torres ended a barren run of six games without a goal by scoring twice in Saturday's 2-0 win over Merseyside rivals Everton at Goodison Park.
The Spain striker's predatory finishes sent Liverpool back to the top of the Premier League, although they can be overhauled by Arsenal and Chelsea later Saturday.
Reds boss Benitez was relieved to see Torres get back on track and expects his side to reap the rewards as Liverpool try to end their 18-year wait to win the league.
"It was important for him and also for us. To score two goals in a derby is a massive boost," Benitez said.
"From the start of the game we were passing and were well organised. We controlled the game.
"We didn't change anything at half-time. We just wanted to keep playing and we knew we would score."
Benitez insisted Everton couldn't use Tim Cahill's rash lunge on Xabi Alonso, which earned the Australian midfielder a red card, as an excuse for their seventh derby defeat in the last nine meetings at Goodison Park.
"The first thing is nothing changed (when Cahill was sent off). We were better than them before the sending off and after," Benitez said.
"I didn't see the tackle but Xabi (Alonso) said to me it could have been worse so I think it could have been a bad tackle."
Torres's goals gave Liverpool their best start to a Premier League campaign but the Spain striker knows they need to maintain that form until January if they are to mount a serious title challenge.
"If we are top in January or February we can win the league. That is the target," he said.
"Last season the top teams were too far ahead. In January we need to be top and in the next stage of the Champions League, then we can have a fantastic season."
Despite scoring just once in all competitions before Saturday, Torres was never concerned by the drought.
"Six games without a goal is too long for a striker at Liverpool but the important thing is three points," he said. "I wasn't worried. I was working hard and I knew the goals could arrive.
"We knew how important it was for the fans and also now we can stay at top of the table if Arsenal and Chelsea don't win."
返回列表