返回列表 回復 發帖

Moyes Ready For 'Aggressive' Reds

David Moyes claims Liverpool and not Everton are more likely to dole out the aggressive treatment in Saturday's Merseyside derby.
The famous fixture has seen 16 red cards distributed during the Premier League era - more than any other match.
And despite Everton having received 10 of those - including the dismissals of both Tony Hibbert and Phil Neville during Liverpool's turbulent 2-1 win last season - Moyes believes Rafael Benitez's side will be the more physical side on Saturday.
The Everton manager used the recent comments of Sir Alex Ferguson following Manchester United's 2-1 defeat at Anfield earlier this month as justification for his claim.
Ferguson claimed his side were outmuscled after Liverpool came from a goal down to beat his team and give Benitez his first win over United as Liverpool manager.
Moyes has backed up his fellow Scot and accused Liverpool of "crying" foul over Everton's style of play when it is in fact they who look to get more "stuck in".
He said: "They have been games that have been hotly contested and I am sure this one will be as well.
"I think in the main, the team that has got stuck in is Liverpool.
"They have been very aggressive, I think Alex Ferguson said that the other week about their style at the moment.
"They are a very tough team so I think it is Liverpool who cry that rather than Everton.
"Maybe you are speaking to the wrong manager."
Despite his strong words, Moyes also praised Everton's rivals and he believes Liverpool's local element is the driving force behind Benitez's outfit.
"They are a quality side and I think I would single out Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard," he added.
"They are the heartbeat of Liverpool, I think they know what it's about and I am not just talking about derbies but in general.
"They are the heart and soul of the club and because they are local lads as well so they know what it means."
Everton fans will not be buoyed by Moyes' frank admission that his squad is suffering a collective dip in confidence following their recent performances.
His side have failed to keep a clean sheet this season - or pick up a single point at home in the Premier League - and they crashed out of the Carling Cup in the week following a defeat against Blackburn.
But Moyes is convinced the lack of confidence is only temporary and he is determined to help his squad through it.
Moyes said: "I would be lying if I said we were bumbling and brimming with [confidence].
"But my job is to put that right and you have to be prepared at times to take risks.
"There will be periods of low confidence at any football club - you have to be ready for them.
"My job as manager is to find the solutions and get us the results and raise that confidence which will lead to better performances."
Moyes has urged the home crowd to get behind his team, but not to the extent that their support manifests itself as abuse.
"I think a derby is very important because they are great for any city," he said.
"I come from Glasgow so I know what they are like but I think there is a limit to what the chanting should be.
"I hope both sets of supporters will be well behaved but what we want is a fantastic atmosphere because that is what makes derbies great."
返回列表