返回列表 回復 發帖

[貼圖] 中国舊式圍庭, 有点書卷味道

好東西就要大力推~~~
推了才會有動力~~~
不错,值得欣赏。
The sky is so blue, just the right color saturation.  It seems there is a Chinese garden in every corner of the world.  Where is this one?
A little green earthling, living life as if there were no tomorrow.
4# norman.ho

This is the Chinese Scholar Garden in the Snug Harbor Museum in Staten Island New York.
I pictured this a couple of years ago but the weather wasn't nice. A lot of my friends asked me where in China was this.
I told them, if this was in China, there would be a million Chinese climbing rocks and jammed in there.

It is not as big or as detail as those in China that I have visited. But for picturing, this is better.

Thanks.
Ah, didn't know there was a Chinese Garden at Staten Island, been to NYC a few times, but it was a long time back since I went to Staten Island, must give it a visit next time round.
Thanks.
I read somewhere that the Staten Island Chinese Scholar Garden was one of the best outside of China. I wouldn't doubt it except that it was small. I like the Yu's Garden in Ching-Huan-Mei in Shanghai, but there was always a million people rubbing shoulders with you no matter what time of the day you go.

There is also one in the Botanical Garden in Montreal but I have never been there.

You can take the ferry to Staten Island from lower Manhattan and the ride is free. Once you get there, you'll need to take a bus to the museum. The bus ride is what turns me off about the ferry route. The bus fare is pretty expensive too, #2.25 one way each. If you have 3 people, driving is more economically. The bridge toll is $11.

With the car, you can also go to Ft. Wadsworth under the Verrizano Bridge. The scene is breathe taking.

Here's a few picture I took over there from this trip, and the one before:

There is one in Guangzhou. I think it is called the Chan-Kar-Chi.

Very nice place.

The only problem I have with it was the vendors had set up many shops inside the garden, making it totally commercial. At least the one in Shanghai doesn't have inside the garden.
There is one in Sydney too, just like the one at Staten.
if you ever want to see a nice chinese garden inside china and are around shanghai, head outside to suzhou's 拙政園(zuozhengyuan).  gorgeous and strangely, not so many people during spring, especially in the late afternoon.
One of the thing noticeably missing from the "foreign" Chinese Scholar Garden is the opium dent, which was always there in the old ones in China.

I guess it is something that doesn't sit well with the Chinese authority, or it is something they don't want to bring up in a foreign country.

As a Hong Kong Chinese myself, I feel that it is an important chapter of our history. It is what we must learn from, If we are not strong, foreign powers, like the Brits once was, or Japan, or US, would force shits down our throat. It would be hard to explain the history of Hong Kong to our children and grand children without mentioning the opium war, the United Army of the eight powerful countries, and their gunboat policy.

Maybe something we can forgive. But we should NEVER, NEVER forget.

agree, it's something people keep forgetting.  The Dutch invasion of Taiwan, the Brits forcibly renting HK, Commodore Perry landing on Tane Island forcing Japan to open it's doors with unethical accords, which ended up teaching Japan expansionism and invading China.  seriously, I'd rather call Sun Yat Sen the Wu San Gui of modern era than our nation's "father", this man was taught ethics from a nation that ends up invading us around the same time as his "rebellion".  WTF?  in any other country Dr. Sun would be considered the trojan horse and branded a traitor to their country.  He singlehandedly caused the CCP to gain power because his upper class japanese-taught ethics couldn't be tolerated by the hordes of peasant class.

well, it's another way to review how "modern" China's history came to be.  maybe not a topic for this forum though...

anyways, if you ever come to China's east coast, gimme a shout.  I'm always happy to show people around my favourite areas (Jiangnan 江南 - Zhejiang/south Jiangsu/east Anhui provinces + Shanghai)
As a Hong Kong Chinese myself, I feel that it is an important chapter of our history. It is what we must learn from, If we are not strong, foreign powers, like the Brits once was, or Japan, or US, would force shits down our throat.
Great insight, can't agree more...
The bit I can't work out is why does it always take a HK Chinese to be away from home to realize it.  (generally speaking)
maybe it's the ability to see things from more than one perspective.
I think it has something to do with the upbringing. I met a lot of Taiwanese students in my earlier days of college in the US. And I have traveled quite extensively to the mainland since it was opened up in 80's. I think I can compare the systems of the three major Chinese areas. Unlike Taiwan and the mainland, Hong Kong's education did not try to preach any doctrine. Yes, some people call it the colonial system, but back in my earlier days (the 50's), all our teachers came from China and they would make sure they taught us the underlining Chinese philosophy and value. Without doctrine, we were allowed more free thinking and questioning.

Once we moved oversea, we are also greatly affected by the freedom afforded to democracy. So we do speak freely of what's on our mind.

But we are all Chinese with great love to our homeland. I am very proud to see that these three areas are moving towards the common good of Chinese. We are definitely on the upside of the curve while most western powers are either standing still or going down. I hope we will continue to play our cards well so fellow Chinese will benefit from the prosperity and the respect that associates with wealth and power.

我們都是黄口黄臉的中国人
返回列表